toggle
pawan chauhan
Customizing Out of Box portlets
November 22, 2012 11:26 PM
Answer

pawan chauhan

Recent Posts

Hi all,
I am trying to customize the "anouncement-portlet" of liferay according to my requirements.
I have been searching for how to do it and got to know that it's possible only using hooks/liferay. But still i dont have enough to start doing it.
Can anyone please guide me how to start.
I am looking forward to do that for couple more out of box portlets.

Kindly help.
Regards,
Pawan Chauhan.
Anil Sunkari
RE: Customizing Out of Box portlets
November 23, 2012 12:56 AM
Answer

Anil Sunkari

Recent Posts

Hi Pawan,

That's really great .... what kind of Extension you wants to do.If it only relates to presentation part better go with Hooks (or) obviously you haver to go with plugins for extension.You can ask anykind of issue/queries you face while doing this process.

All the LIFERAY staff/members ready to help you.ALL d Best

Regards,
Anil Sunkari
pawan chauhan
November 23, 2012 1:21 AM
Answer

pawan chauhan

Recent Posts

Hi Anil,

Thanks for the quick reply. The changes that i wish to implement are both functionality based changes and UI based. I might also be implementing my own DB interaction.
So considering I am using EXT or may be Hooks, How do i start. Where do i get the source code of the existing portlet (announcement) , how do i override the content.
Please Advise.

Regards,
Pawan Chauhan.
Bart Simpson
November 23, 2012 7:11 AM
Answer

Bart Simpson

Recent Posts

So considering I am using EXT or may be Hooks, How do i start

This is how you start with Hooks : http://www.liferay.com/documentation/liferay-portal/6.1/development/-/ai/hoo-4
Don't go for EXT unless absolutely required. emoticon
1Where do i get the source code of the existing portlet (announcement) , how do i override the content.

Download the source from Liferay.com http://www.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-portal/available-releases
or if you are inquisitive enough for the latest fork this : https://github.com/liferay
pawan chauhan
November 26, 2012 4:17 AM
Answer

pawan chauhan

Recent Posts

Hi Bart,
Thanks for the reply.
2Download the source from Liferay.com http://www.liferay.com/downloads/liferay-portal/available-releases
3or if you are inquisitive enough for the latest fork this : https://github.com/liferay

I Downloaded the source,but further i tried to open that in the eclipse IDE but was unable to do so. Is it not the right way. Is there anyway i can open the projects in my IDE.
if not whats the correct way.
I am stuck , please help.

Thanks in advance
Regards,
Pawan Chauhan.
Juhi Kumari
November 26, 2012 4:30 AM
Answer

Juhi Kumari

Recent Posts

Hi Pawan,

You can open portal source as existing java project in your eclipse. But if you want to create a new liferay project in eclipse
then you have to install liferay IDE plugins.

Regards
Juhi
pawan chauhan
November 26, 2012 5:41 AM
Answer

pawan chauhan

Recent Posts

Hi Juhi,
Thanks for the reply.
I am afraid i din make myself very clear. here is what i have done so far.
I have installed the liferay plugins In eclipse helios and using it i have created a couple of portlets and themes. But now i was trying to customize the out of box portlets(like announcement n blogs..).
As suggested by members i downloaded the source form site as "liferay-portal-src-6.1.1-ce-ga2-20120731132656558".
After this i was hoping that i would be able to open the portlets in the Eclipse IDE.
I go to "import from existing resource" but can't import as it throws error saying "invalid project location"

Is it possible to open the source in IDE and customize or is there any other way for that.

Please Advise,
Regards,
Pawan Chauhan.
gordon daniels
November 26, 2012 6:34 AM
Answer

gordon daniels

Recent Posts

pawan: Hi. I hope I am not going to confuse the situation but here is how I have done it.

First you do not mention the version you are using. If its 6.1.1, go to the 'Documentation tab' and click on 6.1 docs. Then choose the 'Development' tab. The documentation is actually pretty good.

I have never been successful at using the IDE. However, using the SDK and 'ANT' has always worked for me. You do not mention whether you are using windows or linux. I use linux, so if you use windows the commands are a little different. The docs assume you are using windows. Follow the steps in the docs for setting up SDK development. Then you will be able to see source of portlets.

I apologize if this post confuses things. I just have had problems with the IDE and I found the SDK to be more stable. Good luck. I am sure someone with knowledge of IDE will reply.