Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Eric Smith
Product Configurator
August 28, 2012 7:16 AM
Answer

Eric Smith

Recent Posts

I'm wanting to use liferay for a portal solution I'm working on, but for part of the portal I'll need product configurator (build-on-order) support. Users will need to be able to customize products during the ordering process, by selecting from a matrix of options. Has anyone done this before, and how did you do it?
David H Nebinger
RE: Product Configurator
August 29, 2012 8:46 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Liferay will not do anything magical to solve this problem for you. It is merely a container for portlets in your scenario.

If you can build a web application that supports your live product configuration, then it can be done within the confines of the portal.

That's the question you really need to answer, whether you can build it.

Personally I'd be using service builder for database access, and I'd try leveraging Vaadin for the visual side as it would keep development pretty simple.
Philippa Thomson
August 29, 2012 3:50 PM
Answer

Philippa Thomson

Recent Posts

Eric Smith:
I'm wanting to use liferay for a portal solution I'm working on, but for part of the portal I'll need product configurator (build-on-order) support. Users will need to be able to customize products during the ordering process, by selecting from a matrix of options. Has anyone done this before, and how did you do it?

Hi Eric
I am not sure whether you have already seen this portlet before, but it provides ability to fully/semi- automate your ordering process via the matrix or wizard-based approach. Could be used to generate configuration for simple or extremely complex products. No software development skills is generally required to have it up and running.

If your product is a software product, the submission processes can also initiate a build process and delivery to the ordering customer.

You can have a look at simplified uses here.
If you need I can ask one of our engineers to provide you with advice.
Philippa
Eric Smith
August 30, 2012 8:11 AM
Answer

Eric Smith

Recent Posts

Thanks David, although I'd prefer to integrate an off the shelf solution for a product configurator.