Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Raymond Gardner
What happened to the page's configuration options?
August 21, 2012 8:45 AM
Answer

Raymond Gardner

Recent Posts

I'm running the latest CE GA2 release, liferay-portal-tomcat-6.1.1-ce-ga2-20120731132656558.zip.

In the Control Panel, when trying to configure my site's pages, I'm getting a strange behavior.

(See the two attached files for reference.)
When I first access a page in order to configure it, I get all the options in the light blue box to the right of the screen.
However, if I click on the page link again to reload it or if I navigate to somewhere else and then come back to the page
configuration options again, then the light blue box on the right of the screen does not display and thus I don't have ability
to configure the page.

This is a fresh install with minor configurations applied to it. Am I doing something wrong here?
Has anybody else seen this behavior?
Attachment

Attachment

Attachments: no-page-options.png (57.6k), page-options-are-there-on-first-access.png (56.5k)
James Falkner
RE: What happened to the page's configuration options?
August 21, 2012 5:28 PM
Answer

James Falkner

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Raymond Gardner:
I'm running the latest CE GA2 release, liferay-portal-tomcat-6.1.1-ce-ga2-20120731132656558.zip.

In the Control Panel, when trying to configure my site's pages, I'm getting a strange behavior.

(See the two attached files for reference.)
When I first access a page in order to configure it, I get all the options in the light blue box to the right of the screen.
However, if I click on the page link again to reload it or if I navigate to somewhere else and then come back to the page
configuration options again, then the light blue box on the right of the screen does not display and thus I don't have ability
to configure the page.

This is a fresh install with minor configurations applied to it. Am I doing something wrong here?
Has anybody else seen this behavior?

Strange indeed. Can you take a look at the tomcat log file (in the tomcat-xx.xx.xx/logs/catalina.out file) and see if there is some ugly stack trace when you try to access the page and don't get the blue box? If so, please attach it here. If not, then you'll have to describe the minor configurations you've done (also, which OS and browser you are using).
Hitoshi Ozawa
August 22, 2012 5:11 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

You'll have to provide us with more information so we can reproduce it. For starters, these kinds of problems are usually web browser dependent, please tell use which web browser and version number. Next, check if there is any web browser error. I found the IE does a pretty good job in displaying errors or use firebug.

This doesn't happen in 6.1.0 GA1?
Raymond Gardner
August 24, 2012 3:37 PM
Answer

Raymond Gardner

Recent Posts

No. I'm not experiencing this in 6.1 GA1.

I'm using Firefox 14.0.1 on my Windows 7 64 bit desktop. I didn't try IE or any other browsers. I removed my 6.1 GA2 installation because 6.1 GA1 is working for me.
However, I remember looking at firebug for any obvious errors while this issue was happening and I did not see any. Neither did I see
any exceptions in the catalina.out file. It just wouldn't display without any indicators.

The minor configurations I had done was to setup the site. This was right after a fresh installation and I didn't have a lar file for this release so I had to recreate all our pages and roles and permissions, etc ...

Here's something I noticed which I feel might have contributed to this. When I first setup my site with a few pages, I had not noticed any issues at this point, I exited the control panel so I could add some portlets to the page. I mistakenly went to Dockbar -> Manage -> Page. I closed the popup window before it finished loaded. Or maybe it never loaded and took a long time. I remember something odd happening there. The next time I went back to the Control Panel to continue working on the Site is when I first noticed this strange behavior of the options not displaying.

I thought I had broken something so I deleted the entire Site configuration and started over but I saw the same broken behavior with no page options. I also deleted the database and started with a fresh new database, created by Liferay upon 1st site access, but to no avail, still no page options.

Strange indeed!
David H Nebinger
August 24, 2012 5:22 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Out of curiosity, did you try clearing your cache after the failure?
Raymond Gardner
August 27, 2012 11:22 AM
Answer

Raymond Gardner

Recent Posts

Did I clear my browser's cache? No, I didn't.

I don't think that could be the issue because I could get that options box on the right to show up on first access.
But it would disappear on subsequent access.
David H Nebinger
August 27, 2012 11:27 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Well, if you are running GA1 and GA2 on the same box, they would both have been http://localhost:8080. The browser would have no way of knowing that you've actually switched up and may be using the script(s) from the other instance and cause some sort of conflict.

It was just an idea. It's usually the first thing I do when I get some funky browser stuff just to eliminate it as a possible cause...
Karen Castillo Inoa
August 19, 2013 5:44 AM
Answer

Karen Castillo Inoa

Recent Posts

Has anyone found a solution for this issue?
Raymond Gardner
August 26, 2013 9:31 AM
Answer

Raymond Gardner

Recent Posts

Hi Karen,

No, we never did figure out why this was happening. We reverted to GA1 to get around this issue. It was only happening in GA2 for us.

Interesting, however, we later did a different project, thus different web site, using GA2 and we never experienced this issue in our new project.