Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
John Studarus
Service Builder vs. Dynamc Data Lists vs. Asset Framework
August 10, 2012 6:30 PM
Answer

John Studarus

Recent Posts

I'm trying to determine which is the best framework for me to use within Liferay. I'm wanting to keep manufacturing data (widgets) within Liferay. As widgets are created, they are displayed within Liferay for the factory operator to track. The GUI would update as widgets are created. If a widgets fails a quality check, it would be flagged in the Liferay portal.

I've played with the Service Builder and the Dynamc Data Lists. It looks like I could also create a custom Asset within Liferay. Which would be most appropriate? I want to be able to update Liferay either via a JSON call or Java code (which I can do with the Service Builder). However, with the Service Builder, I need to create all the GUI portlets. With Dynamic Data Lists, all the GUI is done for me but it is all stuffed into a shared database table with the other items. I haven't figured out how to create custom Assets yet.

Any recommendations on which approach I should be using? Thanks!
Brian Kim
RE: Service Builder vs. Dynamc Data Lists vs. Asset Framework
August 11, 2012 12:14 AM
Answer

Brian Kim

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Hi John,

I think it really comes down to: how much control do you want over the data? In other words, do you want to be able to create relationships between your custom data and other data? Do you want control over how the data is going to be displayed?

If you require flexibility and control, then I would recommend using Service Builder.
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: Service Builder vs. Dynamc Data Lists vs. Asset Framework
August 11, 2012 1:08 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

However, with the Service Builder, I need to create all the GUI portlets. With Dynamic Data Lists, all the GUI is done for me but it is all stuffed into a shared database table with the other items. I haven't figured out how to create custom Assets yet.

That's the tradeoff. Are you comfortable with programming or not. If you want your users to make some minor changes, service builder is not it.