Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Hitoshi Ozawa
How many are using liferay on internet?
June 15, 2012 6:15 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

The date of the new release is being delayed over again because of the new Marketplace feature.

That's nice, but I was wondering how many of you are actually connecting liferay to the Internet because most of my production installation are all intranet behind a firewall without any internet connection. I often get question about unable to connect to liferay.com during startup and I think I've seen some posts here in the forum as well.
James Falkner
RE: How many are using liferay on internet?
June 15, 2012 6:18 PM
Answer

James Falkner

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Hitoshi Ozawa:

I was wondering how many of you are actually connecting liferay to the Internet because most of my production installation are all intranet behind a firewall without any internet connection. I often get question about unable to connect to liferay.com during startup and I think I've seen some posts here in the forum as well.

The Netherlands User Group has started a Showcase wiki for NL internet sites. And I am hoping to expand this and make it easy for others to submit LR sites into a nice, categorized showcase for the whole community.
David H Nebinger
June 16, 2012 8:20 AM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Many of Liferay's showcase sites use Liferay on the internet, including sesamestreet.com.

I have my own site running Liferay on the internet, and I've had corporate sites also on the internet using Liferay (structured in a typical apache server on the outside talking to app server in the DMZ setup).

My concerns for these guys have never been new functionality, only security and bug fixes. In many cases if you bring a version of Liferay live and have it running on the internet, there is little reason to do major version upgrades (since the work required to adjust themes, plugins, retests, etc. are considered too expensive just to get some of the new features and functionality, plus it's hard to fight the old saying "if it's not broke, don't fix it").

Before going live I try to keep them current since I know that after they go live I'm probably not going to be going back to do major version upgrades again...
Linus Sphinx
June 18, 2012 3:10 PM
Answer

Linus Sphinx

Recent Posts

Currently have 54 separate instances of Liferay visible to the internet and no clue about Marketplace.
Hitoshi Ozawa
June 18, 2012 3:23 PM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Currently have 54 separate instances of Liferay visible to the internet and no clue about Marketplace.

Wow! All of my large users are intranet with only small users using on the Internet.
Most large Internet companies are doing well to afford to develop their own or buy proprietary software. :-)
Linus Sphinx
June 19, 2012 7:51 AM
Answer

Linus Sphinx

Recent Posts

It's not an, "internet company". I have 26 intranets too. It's a very large, "umbrella", non-profit organization providing tech for a bunch of other non-profits. I have automated everything to the point of, you have a project, committee forming, interest group, fundraiser, whatever, take two new virtual nodes in the cloud, I hit the button and 10 minutes later you have a portal in a nice ready to drop content on default layout. Just check, "internal", or, "external", on the form for internet visibility. The users are not real technical and get no support outside of backup and restore, Liferay makes that possible. Most of the sites are internet visible only because the team working on it are globally located, it's not like anything the general public would care about except for maybe on one or two of them advertised on TV. You would have to look pretty sharp to tell what they're based on.