Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Peter B West
portal-ext and system-ext properties when building LR from source
May 9, 2012 5:38 AM
Answer

Peter B West

Recent Posts

I've been trying to build 6.1.0-ga1 from source, following this wiki entry.

I have found the process difficult, and have added comments to the wiki.

One area that I can find no information on is the relationship between the build process and the properties files portal.properties and system.properties, and the corresponding portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties. Both portal-impl/classes/system.properties and portal-impl/classes/portal.properties are accessed during the build. When running an actual life ray instance, various values in these files are overridden by the -ext versions, which are placed in specific locations in the bundle when the server is instantiated.

So:
1) Can the -ext file values be applied during the build?
1.1) If so, where should each of the -ext files be placed?

There may be reasons why these properties files files should not be accessed during build. If so, could someone explain the logic of this?
Hitoshi Ozawa
RE: portal-ext and system-ext properties when building LR from source
May 9, 2012 5:47 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

If you're going to be creating your own liferay distribution, why don't you just edit the portal.properties and system.properties file directly. This way, you'll know which settings you've made and which settings your users have made.

That said, if you just want to modify some features of liferay, don't build from source. Just create hook, theme, and ext plugin to overwrite liferay's default files.
Peter B West
May 9, 2012 5:54 AM
Answer

Peter B West

Recent Posts

Thanks Hitoshi (or should that be Ozawa?) That had occurred to me. However, I would rather maintain the separation if possible.

The reason I'm building is to try to resolve some upgrade problems. My Document Library upgrade is failing in going from 6.0.6 to 6.1.0.

Peter
Hitoshi Ozawa
May 9, 2012 6:01 AM
Answer

Hitoshi Ozawa

Recent Posts

Any reason you're at least not using ext plugin? If you want to separate liferay's and your code, ext plugin is the way to go.

That said, it's possible to have portal-ext.properties and system-ext.properties in the source. Place them in the same directory as portal.properties
and system.properties. That is, liferay-portal-src-6.1.0-ce-rc1\portal-impl\src

I may have edited build.xml file (I may be mistaken with a different project).