Bharanitharan R
Creating New Portal Instance
February 14, 2012 5:04 AM
Answer

Bharanitharan R

Recent Posts

Hi,
I am new to Liferay.
Right now we are having a Portal (lets take 'liferay1.com') which is running in Liferay 6.0.

The requirment is i have to create one more Portal which should be a replica of 'liferay1.com' , lets have it as 'liferay2.com'
So i explored and found about creating multiple portal instance in Liferay.
According to that i went to 'liferay1.com' > control panel> Portal Instance > Add.
and i gave new Web ID, virtual Host and mail details.
But when click 'Save' i am getting 'Please provide a valid Web ID' msg.
I tried with many Web ID's but i change.
Whats happaning? need some help!

Some details:
The main portal 'liferay1.com' is using 'liferay.com' as web id.

In portal-ext.properties we have
company.default.web.id=liferay.com

[If any other better way to achive the replica of existing Portal as new instance.
Please guide me.]

thanks in advance
Bharani R
Olaf Kock
RE: Creating New Portal Instance
February 14, 2012 10:15 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

An instance does only share the installed plugins and the code with all other instances, nothing else: No content, no users, nothing.

Just creating such an instance should work - you just need a unique virtual host name. For the original instance you can leave localhost - all virtual hosts not matching an instance's virtual host name will refer back to the original instance.

Also, this will create an instance - you'll need to duplicate the content (as you state that it should be a replica) yourself, e.g. through backup/restore of your content, staging etc.
Bharanitharan R
February 14, 2012 11:37 PM
Answer

Bharanitharan R

Recent Posts

Hi Olaf Kock,

Very happy to see your replay. Thank you.
I tried with new virtoal host only but . my bad nothing works.

One set of data i used:
Web Id : newportal.com
Virtual Host : www.newportal.com
mail domain : newportal.com

Please ref to the attached screen shot.

what am i missing?

Some of my twist in my mind:
1. IS there any standard form for 'Web Id' ?
2. Can we use same 'Web Id' or i should be unique? (i tried with unique web id)
3. As you pointed about virtual host. Why the error msg is pointing to 'valid Web Id'?
4. Is there any thing related to user privilage ? (like can do some stuff and etc)
5. Can we use same mail domain for multiple instance?

if i am soo silly please bare with me.
Attachment

Attachments: Liferay new instance.jpg (42.2k)
Namrata Hangal
February 15, 2012 1:59 AM
Answer

Namrata Hangal

Recent Posts

Hi Bharanitharan,

To answer few of your questions,
a) I'm not sure, can you try without using special characters? (Just a doubt)
b) I guess Web ID needs to be unique
c) Not sure I understand the question...?
d) So long as you are logged in as admin, you can create multiple portal instances
e) Mail domain should not be a problem

We're all silly and that's how we learn emoticon

Regards,
Namrata
Bharanitharan R
February 15, 2012 2:20 AM
Answer

Bharanitharan R

Recent Posts

@ Narmata : I belive your last line. Thank You. I am not using any special char.

Is it mandatory that we have to configure the virtual host in our network for creating an instance (i am not trying to access it Just creating a instance!) ?

I have two liferay environment lets take env-A -my local and env-B - running in a server machine.

I am able to create multiple Instance in env-A with out any conf in my network (hosts file),
but when i try the same in env-B i am getting the mentioned error 'Please provide a valid web id'.(ref to attachment)

What may be the issue.?

i am little poor in network. my bad.

[Please suggest a complete guide for liferay]

thanks
Bharani R
Olaf Kock
February 19, 2012 2:53 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

I can't give a solution for your problem - as I still don't understand what exactly you do or how your environment is configured so that it doesn't allow this.

However, as you also ask this: Yes, it's mandatory to have a virtual host name, even if you're not accessing the instance (now) - in the end you probably want to access it, otherwise nobody would ever discover that/if it works. In order for Liferay to know what instance you want to access on a single system, it needs some help. The only help it can get is through the URL/Host that a request comes in with. So, naturally, you need the virtual host URL.

As of the web id, I'm sorry, I really can't see what the problem is based on your descriptions
Bharanitharan R
February 20, 2012 2:32 AM
Answer

Bharanitharan R

Recent Posts

Hi,

Thank you all.
Your guidlines realy helped me.

Acctualy i got these issue because i was given limited privilage.emoticon
I found that and got full privilage.

Now every thing is fine.

But still i don't know why i got the error msg irrelavent to the situation.

Any way , Thank you all.
Olaf Kock
February 20, 2012 4:13 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Ok, that explains everything. Thanks for the feedback.
Regarding the error message not matching the actual error, you might want to file a bug. Please include the permissions you had initially and give a description of the steps to reproduce there. You might also want to link back to this discussion - but definitely need to give the permissions that you had when it didn't work.
Namrata Hangal
February 21, 2012 9:11 PM
Answer

Namrata Hangal

Recent Posts

That's great!

Then I guess this point was valid -
d) So long as you are logged in as admin, you can create multiple portal instances
Bharanitharan R
February 22, 2012 12:52 AM
Answer

Bharanitharan R

Recent Posts

Hi,

Ya, i hope initially as admin role got all permission execpt saving.
Then i got permission to save also.

then every thing go's ok
Gianluigi Ruggeri
May 15, 2013 4:58 AM
Answer

Gianluigi Ruggeri

Recent Posts

Is possible to have for example two different instances in Liferay that this share only the users?
Olaf Kock
June 10, 2013 6:59 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

Gianluigi Ruggeri:
Is possible to have for example two different instances in Liferay that this share only the users?

No. By design a new instance does not share the users.

If you want to share users, you can configure both instances to share the same LDAP server and maintain user accounts on that server. Still, they will result in different user entries in those tables in both instances.
alex wom
July 2, 2013 11:45 PM
Answer

alex wom

Recent Posts

I would like to try locally so I used 127.0.0.1 as virtual host (the previous one is on localhost). My expectation is that when I use localhost it goes on the first one, and when I use 127.0.0.1 it goes to the new one. But I go in the old one every time. How can I try locally this configuration?
Olaf Kock
July 4, 2013 7:00 AM
Answer

Olaf Kock

LIFERAY STAFF

Recent Posts

127.0.0.1 as well as localhost are not good names for virtual hosts.

Instead, you should define named aliases. If you're just working locally, they can point to 127.0.0.1.

An easy way to do this is in a file called hosts. Depending on your operating system, you can find them in different locations:
  • /etc/hosts on linux, probably also on MacOS
  • /windows/system/drivers/etc/ (or similar, can't remember exactly and I'm not on that OS) on windows

You'll need administrator permissions to edit that file. In there you provide mappings from any name you'd like to IP addresses. The file typically contains at least one entry (mapping localhost to either 127.0.0.1 or ::1, the IPV6 counterpart. Use that sample to create your own mapping the same way: One line per alias.

Then access that new alias you created in there (typically no restart required) and you can use it as the virtual host name for your new instance. If you want to access your machine from any other client: This change needs to be done on the same system where the browser runs. If you're running a proxy, the proxy needs to be able to do this resolution. Of course, external machines must point to your externally visible IP, not to 127.0.0.1
Lij Achu
July 25, 2013 7:05 AM
Answer

Lij Achu

Recent Posts

Olaf Kock:
Gianluigi Ruggeri:

No. By design a new instance does not share the users.

If you want to share users, you can configure both instances to share the same LDAP server and maintain user accounts on that server. Still, they will result in different user entries in those tables in both instances.

Hi Olaf, all your posts I got so far were very helpful. I'm learning a lot from you, and 'm even making critical decisions regarding Liferay relying on you. Tnx again!!

Here, I have two questions:

1. How many portal instances (max.) are allowed in Liferay? and does it have any limitation with respect to the number of users and documents?
>> I'm thinking of building 20 portal instances each with 4 community sites. What shall the hardware spec. be for production? Do I need to separate the document to be managed via Alfresco?

2. Is there any search mechanism to allow searching any asset from the entire instance (from all the 20) while one is on one of the twenty portal instances?
>> I read some about Solr but not sure if it could help in searching content across the portal instances as described.

Thank you !
Kristen Smith
August 20, 2013 7:01 AM
Answer

Kristen Smith

Recent Posts

same problem i am facing it will really help to me thanks