toggle
Joseph Wolfe
Document Library is not up to snuff
September 13, 2011 5:46 AM
Answer

Joseph Wolfe

Recent Posts

Folks-

Felt the need to provide a few observations pertaining to the Liferay Document Library portlet as it relates to enterprise use. I have been working with this now for over a month and have found the current issues to be show stoppers with regards to implementation.

General performance is not up to par. By general performance, I am referring to the end user experience with regards to logging on to Liferay, navigating to the DL, seeing the folders and documents available per permissions, and downloading as applicable. For one thing I cannot understand why there is not the ability to allow for immediate download of a document upon the click of the document name link. Currently performing this action opens up an intermediate page which provides details about the document. This would be better if the choice for detail were the button - I see this as a "backward" implementation with regards to how an actual user is expecting things to function. Also, the speed is generally slow - and this is not due to hardware as I am running at or above the recommended specifications.

The entire permissions process is painful. I imported 4000 users and 590 Groups and assigned roles upon the import. This worked as intended, however, when using the DL and attempting to assign permissions the speed of execution is completely unacceptable - to the point where the application is unusable. I am talking between 30 seconds and 1 minute between screen changes for every step in the process. Just can't use the application with this type of performance. I have tried the fixes that I have found in the forums to no avail and constantly have the webmasters complaining that there are an exorbitant anount of threads opened that result in the database crashing.

I realize that Liferay Community Edition is a free application and the folks are not paid for much of the development involved. I am in no way slamming anyone here and I appreciate anyone who spends their personal time to work on something for the public good for no compensation. However, I think the product could really be a winner if the shortcomings in the DL were addressed and implemented differently. I may have a look at integration with Alfresco, however, that is just additional complication as now there are 2 discrete applications to implement and maintain/support.

I would like to hear any comments or thoughts regarding my opinions here, especially those folks who have differing opinions or if there are any fixes that I am unaware of. I have recently been working with the 6.1 trunk in the hope that there have been corrections. I did notice some improvements in the UI but the guts of the issue were not addressed - performance is way to slow and doing anything with permissions is completely out of the question.

Once again - I am simply providing my opinions as I am responsible for implementation of an enterprise soultion for a large company - and am in no way meaning to be condescending. However, I do feel that the DL is inadaquate at this time as an enterprise solution.

Please provide any feedback or thoughts!

Thanks
Paul Robinson
RE: Document Library is not up to snuff
September 13, 2011 6:01 AM
Answer

Paul Robinson

Recent Posts

Hi Joseph,

We use the document library extensively and have done a lot of tuning to ensure performance is up to par, particularly around caches and we always use filesystem for storage.

We have also added a few additions to our deployment to get around some of the interaction issues such as giving the users the ability to download a folder as an archive. We have also had some success with Webdav but have hit some roadblocks on legacy SSO solutions.

In some situations, we have cloned the DL and extended as per the customer requirements, the idea of being able to download the document direct using a custom action and theme. I have attached an example from a recent project.

Are you able to outline the deployment architecture a little more e.g. storage mechanism (jdbc, filesystem etc)
Attachment

Attachments: Screen Shot 2011-09-13 at 9.01.07 PM.png (37.5k)
James Falkner
September 13, 2011 7:03 AM
Answer

James Falkner

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

Hey Joseph,

We at Liferay always value this kind of constructive feedback, and I'd like to explore the issue further. I agree, if it takes 30 seconds to a minute to change a permission on a DL file or folder, that's unacceptable. My hope is that there's something besides Liferay itself causing the slowdown, but yeah, more information would be good, such as database configuration, app server configuration, etc. If we could get a reproducible test case it would be fixed in short order!
Joseph Wolfe
September 13, 2011 7:14 AM
Answer

Joseph Wolfe

Recent Posts

James Falkner:
Hey Joseph,

We at Liferay always value this kind of constructive feedback, and I'd like to explore the issue further. I agree, if it takes 30 seconds to a minute to change a permission on a DL file or folder, that's unacceptable. My hope is that there's something besides Liferay itself causing the slowdown, but yeah, more information would be good, such as database configuration, app server configuration, etc. If we could get a reproducible test case it would be fixed in short order!

James-
I will be glad to get you some info on the performance issues. Are there any particulars that you can provide me so I can get you some useful information? Please be specific.

Currently I have tested using MSSQL, Oracle, and MYSql with the same results. Also I am finding that when attempting to re-index the search indexes it will crash resulting in a error message being displayed

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, you@example.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Thanks
Mika Koivisto
September 13, 2011 11:59 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

Recent Posts

Looks like you are using Liferay through a proxy server. Have tried accessing it directly? If you have is it as slow then?

The error it's showing when you try reindexing comes from a proxy server which seems to timeout the connection before the operation is finished. A full reindexing can take quite some time depending how many users, documents, messages etc you have. It will still complete the task in background even though your connection to the server was cut prematurely by a proxy server.
Joseph Wolfe
September 14, 2011 9:36 AM
Answer

Joseph Wolfe

Recent Posts

Folks-
Did some additional testing last night on the March 24 6.1 build:

Imported 4000 users, 419 groups from my directory server. Below are the portal-ext settings. The import worked fine, the users appeared correctly as did the groups and roles. Users were assigned to correct groups and groups to the correct roles etc....

However, when using the DL it was impossible to get any response when attempting to work with permissions. It timed out after 10 minutes or so. I had the same experience when doing the same thing on my 6.0.6 implementation - hence trying on both instances.

When I ONLY imported users from the directory server and created roles manually (no groups used) and then manually assigned users to roles in 6.0.6 things were somewhat slow but acceptable. However, the capability to do it the correct way with users, roles, and groups results in the system hanging as described above.

If there is some type of configuration I am missing please advise. Otherwise, this is a major issue that needs to be addressed. I would be more than willing to assist in any testing etc...if needed.

users.email.address.required=false
users.email.address.auto.suffix=@liferay.com
users.screen.name.allow.numeric=true
ldap.import.user.password.enabled=false
ldap.import.user.password.autogenerated=false
ldap.import.user.password.default=test
layout.show.portlet.access.denied=false
# group membership information.
# ldap.import.method=user
ldap.import.method=group
ldap.import.create.role.per.group=true
Mika Koivisto
September 14, 2011 12:01 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

Recent Posts

Joseph Wolfe:
Folks-

Hmm that is quite old dev build which certainly might not be stable or fast.

I don't see anything wrong with your configuration. What kind of server you are running in (CPU, RAM)? Is the database in the same server or in the network? If it's in the network is it connected to the same switch/router as the app server or is it somewhere else in your internal network or perhaps connected through WAN? The reason I'm asking is that in so many cases where I've investigated slowness it's been some network component that has caused it. Also what's your JVM arguments like heap size, gc settings etc?
Joseph Wolfe
September 14, 2011 1:05 PM
Answer

Joseph Wolfe

Recent Posts

Mika Koivisto:
Joseph Wolfe:
Folks-

Hmm that is quite old dev build which certainly might not be stable or fast.

Maybe I am doing something wrong when downloading the trunk. The build I tested was from source I downloaded last week. However it stated March 24 build date.

Can you give me a brief description of how I should be downloading the trunk? I am using smart SVN client.

If it is determined that I have old code - I will compile another bundle and test with new version.

Thanks
Mika Koivisto
September 14, 2011 2:40 PM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

Recent Posts

Ah. Yes of course. the build name usually gets updated only when we do a release. So if you've been using svn trunk you should have the latest source code. Just an FYI we've moved to using Git and github as our SCM but we'll still continue to mirror the code to svn with a slight delay. So the absolutely latest code is available at http://github.com/liferay/liferay-portal
Joseph Wolfe
September 20, 2011 4:49 AM
Answer

Joseph Wolfe

Recent Posts

Mike-
Has the official release date for 6.1 been established yet? .
Thanks
Joe
Mika Koivisto
September 20, 2011 10:27 AM
Answer

Mika Koivisto

Recent Posts

I think it's going to be announced tomorrow at WCS.
Dimitri Tischenko
October 31, 2012 8:36 AM
Answer

Dimitri Tischenko

Recent Posts

Hi Joseph,

I am curious whether this issue as been further looked into or resolved. Could you comment on the current status?

Thanks in advance,

Dimitri