toggle
Thibault Schalck
Using a remote documents repository
July 8, 2008 4:17 PM
Answer

Thibault Schalck

Recent Posts

Hi,

My instance of Liferay has been set up on a linux environment.

I would like to connect Liferay to a remote system running on Windows XP, and use this environment as a document repository accessible via the WebDav protocol. Should I develop my own portlet with a File System View or should I use the existing document library ?

The ideal would be to have like a web folder in a portlet to drag and drop files and save them.

Is this possible through Liferay ? I have been reading a lot of web pages, but did not find any relevant information to help me.

Thanks for your help.

Thibault
Victor Zorin
RE: Using a remote documents repository
July 10, 2008 3:19 PM
Answer

Victor Zorin

Recent Posts

Liferay's document repository by default is located where liferay is running. Meaning, to have WebDav access, all documents will have to be copied onto your Linux box, which could be a big issue when number of files is large, ie. storage space + network latency.

Liferay respository is not a plain file system, but jackrabbit (JCR) database. You have to further detail your requirements {administration / access / sizing / indexing}.
It is very likely that a mixed implementation (liferay + custom portlets) will be required.
Thibault Schalck
July 10, 2008 3:32 PM
Answer

Thibault Schalck

Recent Posts

Is there any way to change the Liferay's documents repository ? So that I could for example mount a windows shared folder using smb and point my Liferay's documents repository to that folder !!

And with an appropriate custom portlet, I would be able to drag and drop the files I would like to save on the repository.

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help
Mauro Mariuzzo
July 11, 2008 12:56 PM
Answer

Mauro Mariuzzo

Recent Posts

Why not use Liferay on Linux and Alfresco on the Windows Server?

Alfresco is a good dDocument Management System and the are many guides to connect Liferay to Alfresco.

Alfresco allow you to access his repository using smb protocol, webdav, REST, ftp, etc...
Thibault Schalck
July 11, 2008 2:12 PM
Answer

Thibault Schalck

Recent Posts

Well Webdav is really my priority. The ideal would be to have a webdav portlet into Liferay to drag and drop files directly in Alfresco webdav repositories like in a windows webdav folder. And I am not sure I would be able to do that. But anyway if I need to upload manually files one by one, maybe it can work.

I thought Alfresco needed to be installed on the portal server ?
Björn Ryding
July 11, 2008 3:10 PM
Answer

Björn Ryding

Recent Posts

Thibault Schalck:
Is there any way to change the Liferay's documents repository ? So that I could for example mount a windows shared folder using smb and point my Liferay's documents repository to that folder !!

Besides the default JCR (Jackrabbit) persistence, you can also use S3 or a standard file system for storage. Have a look at the Document Library section of portal.properties.

Cheers,
Björn
Björn Ryding
July 11, 2008 4:20 PM
Answer

Björn Ryding

Recent Posts

Thibault Schalck:
I thought Alfresco needed to be installed on the portal server ?

Alfresco needs to be deployed at the portal server if you want to use the webclient portlet and some authentication features. If I have understood your requirements correctly, having Alfresco at a separate server would not be an issue.

BTW, in my previous post I forgot to mention an alternative to replacing Jackrabbit. You can configure Jackrabbit to store its data at a mounted drive or you can let the repository use another Persistence Manager. For some PM information see: http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/PersistenceManagerFAQ

Cheers,
Björn
Thibault Schalck
July 14, 2008 10:34 AM
Answer

Thibault Schalck

Recent Posts

I guess if I want to use the Alfresco webdav protocol I have to pay for the enterprise version:

Once you've tried Alfresco using our Hosted Trial, you might want to try out some of the more advanced functionality that Alfresco provides, such as user and group administration, WebDAV, CIFS and FTP integration or LDAP authentication. Our Alfresco Enterprise Trial allows you to download a trial version of Alfresco that you can install in your own infrastructure for free for up to thirty days.

http://www.alfresco.com/products/ecm/hostedtrials/

What do you think about that ??
Björn Ryding
July 14, 2008 11:45 AM
Answer

Björn Ryding

Recent Posts

Thibault Schalck:
I guess if I want to use the Alfresco webdav protocol I have to pay for the enterprise version:

Once you've tried Alfresco using our Hosted Trial, you might want to try out some of the more advanced functionality that Alfresco provides, such as user and group administration, WebDAV, CIFS and FTP integration or LDAP authentication. Our Alfresco Enterprise Trial allows you to download a trial version of Alfresco that you can install in your own infrastructure for free for up to thirty days.

http://www.alfresco.com/products/ecm/hostedtrials/

What do you think about that ??

You can use the Community edition. Functionality wise, the Community version is identical with the Enterprise version. However, I'm not very impressed by the stability of Alfresco's community releases and I would recommend using Alfresco Enterprise if you decide to use Alfresco.

Cheers,
Björn
Björn Ryding
July 15, 2008 1:57 AM
Answer

Björn Ryding

Recent Posts

When I wrote that the two versions are identical feature wise, I meant to say that the community version is not a slimmed down version of the Enterprise release. The big difference between community and enterprise editions, besides licensing etc, is that their are branches for the enterprise releases. If you decide to use one of the community releases you have to resort to trunk in order to get bug fixes.
Thibault Schalck
July 15, 2008 10:40 AM
Answer

Thibault Schalck

Recent Posts

Well thank you Björn for your answers, it really helps me. I am going to go through the community version anyway, because I do not need an enterprise version for my developments. And then if there is any need to upgrade it to the enterprise version, we will do it.

Have a nice day.

Thibault
Ryan T
May 17, 2012 10:39 AM
Answer

Ryan T

Recent Posts

Björn Ryding:
Thibault Schalck:

Besides the default JCR (Jackrabbit) persistence, you can also use S3 or a standard file system for storage. Have a look at the Document Library section of portal.properties.

Cheers,
Björn

Bjorn,

Any info on speed, etc when connecting doc lib to S3? We plan on having it in the same zone to help but wanted to get some production specs prior.

Thanks,

Ryan