Forums

Home » Alloy UI » English

Combination View Flat View Tree View
Threads [ Previous | Next ]
toggle
Mason Reno
Manage > Page > Look and Feel > CSS - Can i embed a porlet site wide?
August 15, 2011 1:43 PM
Answer

Mason Reno

Recent Posts

Using then Manage > Page > Look and Feel > CSS am I mistaken or can I embed a portlet to my site using this method? If so, how?

#p_p_id_56_INSTANCE_TXh8_ < here is the porlet ID.

Edit**

I just learned that the portet layout is generated on the server layout engine, so client code won't work.

I have a drop down menu I am trying to apply to the top part of the #wrapper/#content of my site.

What steps do I need to take to implement my drop down menu code into every page on my site?
David H Nebinger
RE: Manage > Page > Look and Feel > CSS - Can i embed a porlet site wide?
August 15, 2011 1:53 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

You're going to want to ditch that approach and, instead, look at building your own theme. You can embed portlets within the theme, so you can put your dropdown box portlet in the theme and it will be on any page that uses that theme.

The path you're going down will not actually include the portlet in the theme and will not actually instantiate the things on the server side necessary to support the portlet.

The theme based solution will.
Mason Reno
August 15, 2011 2:05 PM
Answer

Mason Reno

Recent Posts

Thanks David -- I am realizing that more and more every time I ask these types of questions.
I found this blog post for creating my own theme but I am already feeling lost looking at it.
I am confident in my HTML/CSS/JAVA/JQUERY skills but other than that I am still a novice.
Could you recommend a starting point for creating my own themes outside of Liferays explanations? I am really going to be learning from the ground up but I have the patience to do so.

Thanks again!
David H Nebinger
August 15, 2011 2:11 PM
Answer

David H Nebinger

Community Moderator

Recent Posts

For the theme basics, you'll want to pick either Velocity or FreeMarker (the templating languages used in Liferay themes). Most themes are currently based upon Velocity, but I believe that Liferay is planning to move more towards FM, although I don't know if it is still in the plans nor when it would be implemented.

One of the Liferay books from Packt publishing (if I remember correctly) covers some theme creation including the embedding of portlets in a theme, but I must say that it does not cover it in a lot of depth, but I think it would cover it enough to help you embed the portlet in a theme...
gopi balagala
June 25, 2013 10:03 PM
Answer

gopi balagala

Recent Posts

Hi Friends,
I know I am posting worn place, but I don't have any other chance,

I am very new to Liferay yesterday only I started, I want to start jsf with liferay my application need to support IE8 only, but starting I am getting problems in IE8.
I am not able to find in edit controls and all portlets are unlimited width size its displaying, please help me for this issue.

Thanks,
Gopi,
gopi.balagala@derivit.com